The knit Silver Bells hat features small and delicate bobble stitches and a double brim, making this hat a warm and classic winter favorite. I used ICE Yarn “Rockstar” yarn to design this hat. It has a metallic sheen to it, which makes it so unique! I am loving this yarn. It is extremely soft and has a gorgeous halo to it. Absolutely no roughness to this yarn and the shine is out of this world!
This pattern is for your own personal use. No unauthorized reproduction, in whole or in part (i.e. copying and pasting this pattern into your own document, altering this pattern in any way and calling it your own, etc.), or distribution of this pattern or content (i.e. sharing this pattern in its whole form on your own blog) is allowed. You can use this blog post in blog round-ups. I give permission to sell your items made from this pattern. Please credit “While They Dream” in your listings. The pattern and all photos are the property of While They Dream. You are welcome to share my patterns across all social media forms as long as you link back to my blog directly.
GET THE SILVER BELLS HAT PATTERN
Get the Silver Bells Hat pattern from my shop and save big when you bundle 3 or more patterns. See the codes below.
- You can find the PDF Pattern HERE
- Add this to your Ravelry Favorites: CLICK HERE
- Get the pattern on Etsy: CLICK HERE
- SAVE10 - Purchase 3+ Patterns and get 10% off
- SAVE15 - Purchase 5+ Patterns and get 15% off
- SAVE20 - Purchase 8+ Patterns and get 20% off
Needle Size: US 5/3.75mm 16” circular needles for the brim
US 6/4mm 16” circular needles for the body
For Decreases: US 6/4mm DPNs or use the Magic Loop Method
Yarn: ICE Yarn – Rockstar in Black/Silver (Worsted Weight)
74g / 166 m (2.6 oz / 182 yds): 21 – 22” head circumference (model in photos is a 7-year-old girl with a 21” head circumference)
Gauge: 22 sts x 26 rows in stockinette stitch
Final Dimensions: 8” wide X 9” tall
- CO - Cast On
- K – Knit
- K2tog – Knit 2 together
- KFB – Knit front, Knit Back (Knit into the front stitch, but do not remove stitch from your needle. Knit into the back stitch.)
- MB – Make Bobble
- P – Purl
- SM – Stitch Marker
- Sts – Stitches
- YO – yarn over
- Bobble – *Kfb* twice, remove from left hand needle. You should have created 4 sts. (*Insert your left needle into the back of the first stitch, yo, slip your first stitch over the yarn over* Repeat 3 more times. All 4 sts should be back to your left-hand needle. Knit across those 4 sts regularly) Repeat ( – ) once more. To complete the bobble, pass one stitch at a time over your first stitch. This video by Two of Wands shows a great example of how to work this stitch without having to turn your work: Bobble Video
With US 5 needles, CO 84 sts (plus one more if you use this method to join in the round). Join in the round, being careful not to twist your sts.
*K1, P1* repeat around until your brim is 6.5” from CO edge.
When you have reached 6.5” knit one round in only K sts.
Knit your two edges together to create a double brim. I suggest watching this video for a good visual explanation if you are not familiar with this technique: How to Knit a Double Brim
Switch to US 6 needles
Rounds 1 & 2: K all sts
Round 3: K5, *MB, K11* Repeat until you reach the last 7 sts. MB, K6.
Rounds 4 – 8: K all sts
Round 9: *K11, MB* Repeat to end.
Rounds 10 – 14: K all sts
Repeat Rounds 3 – 14 two more times (you should have 6 Bobble rounds)
After your repeats are finished, repeat Rounds 3 once more.
Switch to DPN’s or use the Magic Loop Method when you need to.
Round 1: K all sts
Round 2: K3, *K2tog, K5* Repeat until 4 sts remain. K2tog, K2. (72 sts)
Round 3: K2, *K2tog, K4* Repeat until 4 sts remain. K2tog, K2. (60 sts)
Round 4: K1, *K2tog, K3* Repeat until 4 sts remain. K2tog, K2. (48 sts)
Round 5: *K2tog, K2* Repeat to end. (36 sts)
Round 6: Remove SM, Slip 1 to the right-hand needle. Replace SM. You have now moved your first stitch of this round to be the last stitch of this round. K1, *K2tog, K1* Repeat until 2 sts remain. K2tog. (24 sts)
Round 7: *K2tog* repeat to end. (12 sts)
Cut a long tail and weave your tail through your remaining sts and pull tight to close. Fasten off and weave in your end.